Practical tips for get the most out of life and business so you enjoy it more.
Getting More out of Life and Business with Nathan Ingram
Almost every business owner has this same struggle in common. It’s an ongoing battle between execution and strategy.
- Execution is the business that needs to be done to keep things moving.
- Strategy is how you grow your business.
In business, execution always wins because (simply put) things always need to get done. At some point, we all hit a wall when we focus on execution. It’s great that we’re getting things done, but at some point, we have to focus on the strategy.
Nathan calls this the whirlwind. The whirlwind is the business of the day that we all struggle with. We always prioritize the things we want to do instead of the thing we need to do. The whirlwind will never go away and that’s okay. Because that is the day to day of our business.
Related Content: Have you heard my story of this journey? Click here to read/listen.
How to regain control of your life and business: make room for CEO time in your life! CEO time is the time that you spend intentionally focused on strategy. Here’s how to implement this:
- Get out of your normal environment. (Find a place that inspires you.)
- You cannot do strategy work around screens. (The secret to avoiding your phone while you’re focusing is to turn it off.)
- Get the ideas that in your head out on paper.
- Pick your top 3 things that have the biggest impact on your business and life. (Likely, they are not things that you’ll enjoy doing.)
- Break the goals into a step. break it into something you can accomplish in 2 hours.
Here’s how Nathan does this:
Nathan blocks out his time. He has multiple blocks each day. (3 block system) Morning, afternoon, evening. (I like this system because if it’s simple, it’s repeatable.)
One of our biggest problems is that we don’t plan our weeks. We don’t plan to succeed each week – So we end up getting stuck in the whirlwind all week.
There are more emails, notifications, and noise in our world than ever before. You’re going to get caught up in this storm if you don’t take control now. You have to be willing to let some things go in your life. Remember, even if you let go of the good, that’s okay because you’re making room for the great.
It all comes down to this one thing: gaining margin in your life. When you develop the right strategy for your business – margin will increase.
About Nathan Ingram:
Nathan is a growth coach for WordPress business owners. Nathan works with WordPress web developers individually and in groups to help them remove the obstacles preventing them from becoming more successful in their freelance businesses. He is also the Host at iThemes Training where he teaches WordPress and freelance business development topics via live webinar.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Nathan Ingram is offering an exclusive discount on his courses to members of the Creating a Brand Community. Here’s a link to his course page: Business Development Courses (If you’re a member of our community, be sure to ask for your discount code before signing up!)
Want to discuss this episode with us?
Join the Creating a Brand Community, on us, for 3 days! (We won’t charge you if you don’t end up wanting to be part of the community) We’d love to get to know you and have you as part of our team.