Podcasting is the trend right now. This episode contains everything you need to know about podcasting from Alban Brooke and Travis Albritton.
Everything You Need To Know About Podcasting with Alban Brooks and Travis Albritton:
Starting a podcast is a huge trend right now. Alex wanted to know all of the stats about podcasting so he spoke with Alban Brooke and Travis Albritton to see what these podcasting professionals had to say about the industry. Here is what they had to say:
❓ Is it too late to start a new podcast?
· There are 770,000 podcasts and well over 50% of them haven’t launched an episode in the last 3 months.
Do you think the future of podcasts will grow or stay at the 770,000?
· Episodes have grown 2 times more this year than last year
· The number of listeners is up 4 fold from last year, so there are plenty of people to listen to new podcasts.
Apple owns the majority of the market; do you think this will change?
· Apple was the creator of the word podcast and they have owned 98% of the market. But Spotify is beginning to gain traction. Spotify is now the #1 place to listen to podcasts in multiple countries.
· A year ago, Apple was 70% of the market and now they are at 50% and Spotify is at 25%.
Organic search: ?
· Google recently began indexing podcast audio in the search results
· Podcasts are ranking for keywords that are hard to get. This can be extremely beneficial.
· If you want to find out if you are on top in your space, open an incognito browser and search some terms that are important to your business. Then you can see what kind of content is being created and you should create some of that same type of content.
How much does it cost to get started ? ?
· A couple of hundred dollars will get you started. There is no need to spend thousands of dollars.
How can you monetize a podcast?
· Patron support or donation model.
· The host read ads / Sponsors
· Affiliate marketing
· Creating your own products/services
You have to start with your ultimate goal and how you want to make money in the first place. Think about what would be valuable to you.
? How do you grow your brand and gain an audience for your podcast?
· It can be difficult to grow a new podcast because they are hard to find when they are new. – But this is good because a lot of people don’t stick it out.
· Invest in your artwork and get a microphone and make sure your episode isn’t 2 hours of rambling.
Alban Brooke and Travis Albritton’s Strategies for growing your podcast:
1. Get 10 listeners – real listeners not family.
2. Engage with communities that have similar interests to what your podcast is about.
3. Ask for feedback. Learn what people like and don’t like.
4. Be a guest and have guests on your podcast that have a similar audience as you. You can even collaborate with people who have a similar audience but are on a different medium.
5. Overcast is a great app where you can put adds. We’ve seen great ROI using this app.
The more patient you can be the more successful you will be! If you really want to create something incredible, it takes time.
Think about why you started and keep that thought at the forefront!
About Alban Brooke and Travis Albritton:
Alban Brooke is the head of marketing at Buzzsprout.
Travis Albritton is the head of content at Buzzsprout.
Buzzsprout is the best podcasting hosting platform available. They have helped over 100,000 people start their own podcast. It is the easiest way to host, promote, and track your podcast.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
Do you currently have a podcast, or are you planning on starting one? Share your link/idea!